St. Lawrence and Calvary Cemetery
Announcements and News:
Effective May 8th, 2020
Divine Mercy Cemetery Board, Superintendent, along with parish administration, have been working very hard on some perpetual care needs at St. Lawrence and Calvary Cemeteries over the past 12 months. We have taken into account significant feedback and questions about enforcing cemetery rules and regulations along with designing plans to freshen up and make long-term repairs. We hope you will notice that a lot of tree trimming, fence repairs, and general grounds keeping have been completed. As the spring and summer of 2020 progress, we are prayerful you will notice significant improvements to the grass and fewer weeds because we made important changes to how we are doing lawn care and the lawn treatments. This may take a season or two to notice. We have put up new cemetery rules and regulations signs as the old signs had become unreadable. We did not change any rules but we will be more strictly enforcing them. We will do all we can to honor and respect everyone’s personal wishes but we pray you will understand that we must start caring for the long term impacts on grounds, repairs, and how some individual choices negatively impact others. We will be working to act on a plan to coordinate with families where monuments need to be leveled or re-set in the coming year.
Regarding Military Veteran Stars at Calvary:
Previous policies and practices have been brought into question. These questions have led to the need to make a more clear decision regarding the military stars and who’s property they are. This will be the new policy.
The military stars are the property of the family and the responsibility of the family. They are being returned to the family’s care.
Each year the cemetery superintendent will place American flags at every veteran’s grave unless there is one already present.
For the 2020 season, the American flags will be placed during the week of 11 May and collected during the week of 8 June.
To accomplish the returning of the military stars to their owners; Ed Hoisington will be available at Calvary from 3pm to 5pm on the 22nd and 23rd of May, 2020. If this does not work for you, please contact Ed at 507-330-0248. Again, from here forward, the military stars are the rightful property of the families. They are the responsibility of the family. We will not be storing them. Please place them appropriately and in keeping with respect to location and in a way that does not impact the mowing crews. We strongly recommend you remove your military star each year as theft of the stars has been a concerning issue over the years.
September 2020, significant road repairs will be completed at both cemeteries. This is a costly but necessary perpetual care item that will have lasting positive impacts on the care of the grounds.
Rock wall repairs at Calvary are nearing completion.
Calvary shed replacement and waterline repairs are currently in planning stages.
The Catholic Cemetery
The Catholic Church’s involvement in cemetery ministry is a long standing part of its history. The church’s caring for her deceased members is a corporal work of mercy and a formal ministerial engagement of the Catholic Church throughout the United States. Catholic cemeteries help the church to sustain faith among its members and are a valuable teaching tool. People using Catholic cemeteries have an opportunity to better understand the church’s theology about life, death and life after death. Each visit to a Catholic cemetery provides the faithful with a very visible sign of the reality of the communion of saints.
-Minnesota Catholic Cemetery Policies and Procedures, Winter 2002-2003.
A portion of the price for each lot is set aside in a perpetual care fund at each cemetery. This fund is maintained so that the future income may be utilized to ensure the permanent upkeep of the cemetery.
Leaving a Legacy Gift to the Cemetery
Individuals and families are invited to support our cemeteries by including a gift in their estate plans. For more information on legacy gifts, please contact the Lead Steward of Administration at Divine Mercy Catholic Church.
Calvary Cemetery and St. Lawrence Cemetery Faribault, Minnesota
Information is current as of February 2019 and is subject to change.
Lot Price: (1 grave) $750.00
Interment: (regular) $850.00
Interment: (cremation) $550.00
Saturday burial: $100 additional
Sunday and Holiday: $400 additional
Winter fee: $100 additional
Additional Right of Burial: $375.00
Document Change Fee: $50.00
Staking Fee: $50.00
Base Setting: $4.50 per inch
Single Marker Setting: $175.00
Double Marker Setting (up to 36") $225.00
Large Marker Setting (35" to 48") $300.00
These prices are for both Calvary and St. Lawrence Cemeteries.
If you have questions about one of the cemeteries, please contact the parish office at 507-334-2266 and ask for Phillip at extension 1025, or email Phillip Parrish.
St. Lawrence Cemetery
2830 Second Ave. NW
View Larger Map
3415 Calvary Drive
View Larger Map
The policies for the cemeteries are reviewed and updated by the Cemetery Board. A complete policy manual is maintained at the Divine Mercy Catholic Church parish offices. The following are policies of the cemeteries:
1. The policy of St. Lawrence/Calvary Cemetery is to require vaults for regular burials.
2. The policy of St. Lawrence/Calvary Cemetery is to allow a maximum of 2 burials per lot (one grave). The 2 burials may be comprised of one of the following options:
a. One regular burial and one cremation burial.
b. Two cremation burials.
3. The policy of St. Lawrence/Calvary Cemetery is to require a sealed, waterproof container for cremation burials.
4. The policy of St. Lawrence/Calvary Cemetery is to charge an “additional right of burial” for a 2nd burial on a lot (one grave).
Calvary Cemetery History
Calvary Cemetery, initially laid out in 1858, contained ten acres of Section 35 in the southeastern part of Wells Township. Prior to this time, a parcel of ground southwest of the parish rectory was used for burial purposes. These deceased were moved to the newly acquired grounds in 1858.
Faribault founder, Alexander Faribault undertook the task of finding a more suitable location for a cemetery. James Kennedy offered to deed 10 acres to Mr. Faribault in payment for an outstanding debt. Mr. Faribault had the land deeded directly to Father Keller in 1865, who in turn deeded it to Bishop Thomas Grace. On October 21, 1877, the cemetery was deeded from the Diocese of St. Paul to the Immaculate Conception parish, which in 2002 became Divine Mercy Catholic Church incorporating the parishes of Immaculate Conception, St. Lawrence & Sacred Heart.
In the late 1860’s on All Souls day, Father Keller, accompanied by 6 men, carried a large cross in a march with most of the congregation to the cemetery. After the cross was erected at the south end of the cemetery, Father Keller proceeded to bless the cemetery grounds. During Father Patrick Daheny’s pastorate (1885-1889), a fire swept through the cemetery destroying the 1860’s cross, as well as wooden markers & railings around individual graves & lots. The destruction made it almost impossible to locate & identify the graves of the early settlers.
During Father James Conry’s pastorate (1890-1900), the vault was constructed at the upper entrance, as well as a water system. In need of higher ground for the water system tank, Father Conry approached Donald Grant to purchase land he owned adjoining the south boundary of the cemetery. Mr. Grant generously donated the needed land for the new addition. The original 10 acres lies in Wells Township, while the newly donated land lies in Warsaw Township.
St. Lawrence Cemetery History
St Lawrence purchased land about 4 miles north of the existing church in 1871. The cemetery was moved to its present location in 1917. Records indicate that the cemetery was moved due to its inaccessibility, being several miles from town with bad hills to climb.
The western-most portion of the cemetery was surveyed and “laid-out” in 1988. During that same year, money was also donated to build the fence along the south side of the cemetery. The current roads in the cemetery were tarred in 1995 through the generous donation of a resident in his will.